Register    Login    Forum    Search   

Home Page » Board index » Motorcycle Chassis Design » Suspension

Post subject: Has anyone used a Slippery Devil front suspension.
 Post Posted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 2:53 pm 

Has anyone out there used and set up a slippery devil front end? I am trying to set the rocker height, and there are no install instructions on line. The normall springer install says to set the rocker height to 0.5" to 1". Is this correct for a air ride front end? What has anyone found when installing this front end.

Thanks

C4 Choppers

Post subject: Re: Has anyone used a Slippery Devil ( D7) front suspension.
 Post Posted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 2:16 pm 

I built a bike with a slippery dragon about a year and a half ago. It worked pretty good. You just have to be sure to cut the pushrods the right length. I followed the instructions like for the regular springer to get the big tube the right length.

The trick is on the little tube.
You have to make the little tube longer than what you would guess, so that the shock has some preload. I cut it about an inch longer that what it was mocked yup .

The extra inch gives you some preload to support the bike weight.

I learned the hard way. I cut it tooo short the first time, They said I could just lower the spring tree to compensate, but I wanted it centered. So it cost me $500 for a pair of pushrod tube.

But the bike came out perfect, so it was all worth it and next time I will be more careful.
there used to be pictures on http://www.garagegirls.tv

Roger

Post subject: Re: Has anyone used a Slippery Devil front suspension.
 Post Posted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 2:25 pm 

Thanks for the info. Did you install a Slippery Devil, or a dragon? You used both in your post. The Slippery devil is the dual AIR RIDE shock springer style front end, NO SPRINGS. Just checking. I'm going to start with the extra inch. I can always cut them shorter.

Thanks again for the info.

C4 Choppers

Post Posted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 11:17 am 

IT WAS A S[ppERY DEVlL. IT CAME OUT PRETTY SLlCK HOPE TO HAVE PlX SOON. HOW lS YOUR BUllD GOING?

Post Posted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 6:54 am 

Right now.......SLOWELY! Since we haven't used this front end before, trying to make sure we get it right without having to buy more new parts to replace scuffed chrome is a challange. The trees, especially the shock/spring tree is really tight to the tubes. You can't seem to spread the clamps enough to get them to open up enough so it slides on over the tubes easily. Even using a single layer of magazine page, the area around the clamp scores the paper. If I try to open the clamps any more, I'm afraid I'll split the chome just trying to open the thing up! It is so tight, 3 mil mylar won't fit between the tree and tube! Other than that, I think we have the rockers set right (with the extra inch we can always cut off), so it will work properly. Today is drilling the tube for the internal brake line, another treat! He's using Climax Controls, so the front brake line comes out thru the handle bar bolt, so you have to snake it back up to the upper tree to get it into the tube. Not sure it's going to look as clean, but will find out soon. What kind of air pressure do you end up on the front to get a good ride? Does it ride as good as a conventional front end or springer?
Thanks again for the help.
C4 Choppers

Post Posted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 5:10 am 

Well, unless there is something we are missing, this front end doesn't seem to want to lift the weight of the bike with less than 105 psi, and you have to help it by lifting up on the rockers, or pulling up on the front suspension. The owner brought the pressure shut off switch for the pump which is set for the pump to come on at 85 PSI and shut off at 105 psi in the air tank. He also brought a pressure regulator that goes from 0.5-90 PSI, but when you use it, 90 PSI isn't enought to lift the front end more than about 3/4-1". So we replumbed it without the regulator and let it get the full 105 PSI, and it's not much better. Not sure what to do. He wanted to dump the air in the front and use the regulator for adjustment, but I'm considering setting it up for full air, but then you can't adjust it if the ride quality is crap. Not sure what to do next. He comes in this weekend, so we'll see what he wants to do.
If anyone else has used this system, let me know how it works and how you have it set up. I would appreciate it. Thanks again.
C4 Choppers

Post Posted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 3:38 pm 

Hi,
I remember we had to run about 150 PSI at first. You can also add oil to the shock to take up volume. Just like adding oil on a regular fork takes up volume, and makes it a stiffer spring.
Its a little bit of a complex system.

On some of the systems they have a piston with o-rings and on some they use a piston with a washer stack. Which one do you have?

On ours we had an auxillary mechianical sping inside the shock absorber.

The spring with a shock will always ride better than air.

But you can raise the oil level to alter the spring stiffness and alter the pressure to change the force.

PS Did the tubes go in OK?

Post Posted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 8:40 am 

The front end went together good, but the weight of the bike is just too much for the front end at 105PSI.

Post Posted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 1:47 pm 

hey c4 did you ever get your front end to work properly? and how about some pictures?

Home Page » Board index » Motorcycle Chassis Design » Suspension